Let’s Celebrate It.
BASQUIAT’S BORN DAY
Hey Basquiat! It’s you birthday.
Yeah Yeah, I know you. You know his crown and you know his style. Did you know today was his birthday? Whether you did or didn’t here are 5 other facts that you may or may not know about Basquiat…
- He would strategically place his art (his tag SAMO) near galleries and museums and where artists hung out in order to make a name for himself. In 1978, the magazine “Village Voice” congratulated him for getting noticed this way.
- At 25 yrs old Basquiat, exhibited nearly 60 paintings at the Kestner-Gesellschaft Gallery in Hanover, Germany—making him the youngest artist to ever showcase his work there.
- Basquiat ran away from home. His father recalled that when he found him in a park, his son told him, “Papa, I will be very famous one day.”
- SAMO, an acronym for “Same Old Shit”. With its anti-establishment, anti-religion, anti-politics credo packaged in an ultra-contemporary format, SAMO soon received media attention from the counter-culture press, the Village Voice the most notable among them
- Basquiat’s lifestyle became extravagant. He spent thousands of dollars on designer suits, only to ruin them by painting in them. He staged elaborate parties and dinners. He gave away paintings and money to friends and to people he didn’t even know.